- What is the Truth Recovery Co-Design Process?
On 26 January 2021, the Northern Ireland Executive agreed to the publication of the research report it had commissioned on the operation of historical Mother and Baby Homes and Magdalene Laundries in Northern Ireland.
The research report can be accessed via the link – RESEARCH REPORT, CLICK HERE
The Executive agreed to a recommendation made by the Inter-Departmental Working Group to undertake a victim/survivor-centred independent investigation, co-designed with victims and survivors, to provide detailed recommendations for an official investigation/inquiry.
It was agreed that the co-design process would be expertly facilitated and Prof Phil Scraton, Dr Maeve O Rourke and Ms Deirdre Mahon were appointed to work with victims/ survivors and their families. (Read about the Panel here)
- The Terms of Reference for Truth Recovery Process can be found here (Click on this link for TERMS OF REFERENCE).
- What does Co-Design mean?
This is a unique process. Recommendations made by the Panel to the Northern Ireland Executive will be determined by the questions the victims/survivors/ their families want answered. The Panel’s recommendations must be, and will be, guided by the victims and survivors.
- How will the Panel involve participants in the process?
The Panel will create both a written and video-recorded presentation outlining options for an investigation/inquiry framework and the key questions to provide a framework for written submissions or for listening sessions with victims/ survivors/ their families. For further information see: Listening Sessions and Response form of the Ethical Protocol (Click Here for the ETHICAL PROTOCOL).
- How do I register my interest?
To register interest call:
0300 0200 789 to provide details
Or email: firstname.lastname@example.org and a Register of Interest Form will be emailed for completion on-line
Or by via the website: www.truthrecoverystrategy.com and clicking on the link.
- If I live outside Northern Ireland can I still register?
Yes, we want to hear from as many victims and survivors as possible.
- What if my Birth Mother is deceased, can I still register?
- Can I register interest on behalf of a relative?
Yes, with their permission please share their views/ideas.
- Can I talk to someone for more information before registering?
Yes, please call 0300 0200789.
- Where can I access a Registration of Interest Form?
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
- What happens after I register?
You will be invited to give your views in writing, in person or as part of a group. Your views will contribute to the eventual recommendations. The Panel will seek participants’ consent before taking notes of one-to-one interviews or group discussions; see Gathering Information Section in Ethical Protocol (Click Here for the ETHICAL PROTOCOL).
Filling in the Questionnaire – to clarify for some questions asked?
1. You do not have to fill in the questionnaire alone. The Panel are very happy to do that with you, in the form of a semi-structured interview. Please let us know if you would like to do individually or as part of a group, over the phone or on a zoom call?
2. Many are asking about the presentation that Phil and Maeve are doing. They are researching all the options and will have that ready soon. You can wait to fill in the Questionnaire until after you have viewed the presentation if that is what you want.
3. There is no rush to fill in the Questionnaire. Take your time. You have until the end of June 2021 before submitting your completed questionnaire.
- Will I be contacted by the Panel members?
You will be invited to give your views in writing, in person or in groups. You will be contacted by Panel members only should they require any further details or any clarification.
You will also receive emails updating you on progress. Updates will be on the website www.truthrecoverystrategy.com
- What if I withdraw after registering interest or after submitting my views?
This will be your decision entirely. You can change your mind or withdraw involvement at any time. If you decide to withdraw please let the team know:
Telephone 0300 0200 789
- I am worried about registering and what it means for me
If you are worried about registering, the Panel support team or the Chair of the Panel will be available to discuss your concerns. Support is also available via Victims Support Service.
- What support is available now?
The Panel recognizes that participation in this process is likely to cause upset or harm and as part of their duty of care have set up a specialist confidential counselling service. If you or your family need this specialist support go to Victims Support Service.
- When will the co-design report be published?
The Panel is due to provide their Final Report to the Northern Ireland Executive by end of September 2021. Its recommendations will be published.
- What happens once Report and Recommendations have been published?
This will be for the Northern Ireland Executive to decide.
- How will you use the information that I provide?
Your personal information will be used only for the purposes of this process and to enable the Panel to formulate recommendations to be presented to the Northern Ireland Executive. Confidentiality is explained in the Ethical Protocol including exemptions. (Click Here for the ETHICAL PROTOCOL).
- Will my information be kept confidential?
Information you provide to the Panel team will be confidential. Should technical difficulties arise and there is a need to access ICT support, please consult the Data Security section in the Ethical Protocol (Click Here). For more information about your rights as a data subject, please see the Panel’s Privacy Notice here – Click Here for Privacy Notice
- Does it matter that the institution with which I was involved, is not listed/named?
If the Institution is not listed please email its details to: email@example.com
- Where can I access the list of institutions under consideration?
The list of institutions being considered can be found on the website: www.truthrecoverystrategy.com
- Will I be consulted about the Panel’s recommendations?
From the mass of evidence received via meetings or written submissions, the Panel will draft key findings and invite those who gave evidence to review the findings and make further submissions should they wish.
- Will there be a Public Inquiry?
The outcome will not be known until completion of the co-design process and the presentation of recommendations to the Northern Ireland Executive.
- How can I access my records ?
Health and Social Care Trusts will enable people to access their records.
Western Health and Social Care Trust – 02871314235/028 8283 5114
Belfast Health and Social Care Trust – 028 95040350
South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust – 028 91270672
Southern Health and Social Care Trust – 028 37566125
Northern Health and Social Care Trust – 028 9331 5111/028 25635110
Northern Ireland Adoption and Foster Care – 0800 0720 137
Registered Adoption Agencies
Family Care Adoption Services – 028 9069 1133
Adoption NI- https://www.adoptni.org
Can’t Find answer to your question?
Contact us: – Click Here for Contact Details for the Truth Recovery Panel.